The European Space Agency (ESA) is organising an Advanced Training Course on Land Remote Sensing with the focus on Agriculture and Water in collaboration with the Institute of Advanced Studies Kőszeg (iASK). This course is dedicated to training the next generation of Earth Observation (EO) scientists and experts working in Agriculture and Water domain to exploit data from EO multispectral, hypersprectral and SAR missions (e.g. the Copernicus Sentinels) for science and applications development. The course is part of ESA’s EO Science for Society – Scientific Exploitation element of EOEP-5 (the fifth cycle of ESA’s Earth Observation Envelope Programme).
The Advanced Training Course on Land Remote Sensing – EO for Agriculture and Water aims at:
- Training the next generation of scientists and professionals on remote sensing for agriculture and water cycle in agriculture
- Explaining the theoretical principles, processing algorithms and data products from multiple sources including multispectral, hyperspectral and SAR EO data for agriculture and water
- Introducing tool and methods for the exploitation of EO satellite data, in particular the Sentinels and new hyperspectral missions
- Stimulating the exploitation of EO in the domain of agriculture, water cycle, evapotranspiration, irrigation etc.
- Demonstrating cloud-based, large-scale processing of EO data
The training will include theory and hands-on sessions on the following topics:
- Introduction to status of relevant missions including Sentinels in operation and under development, Earth Explorer FLEX, EnMap and PRISMA
- Crop mapping and monitoring of vegetation biophysical parameters
- Estimation of land surface temperature, evapotranspiration and soil moisture
- Irrigation mapping, detection, quantification and management
- Drought monitoring and water use efficiency estimation
- Time series smoothing and analysis
- Multisource data analysis
- Use of hyperspectral and thermal data in addition to optical and microwave
- In-situ data collection and preparation
- Training on the use of SNAP toolbox
The 5-day course will be held from 21 to 25 November 2022 at the Institute of Advanced Studies Kőszeg (iASK), Hungary. Post graduate, PhD students, post-doctoral research scientists and professionals from European countries and Canada interested in the applications of Earth Observation in Agriculture and Water cycle in agriculture are welcome to apply for the course. Research scientists, students, EO professionals from all other countries are also welcome to apply, subject to availability of space.
- Create a user account in the ConfTool portal and fill in the online application form CLOSED
- Enter a title and short abstract for a poster to be presented in the poster session (mandatory) CLOSED
- Upload a reference letter from an academic referee or employer (mandatory) CLOSED
- After acceptance to the course, provide the full poster. Guidelines for the poster preparation will be sent in due time.
- The application will be considered completed once the poster abstract and reference letter have been submitted
- Number of participants is limited to a maximum of 60 students and is subject to a selection procedure by the organising committee.
- The academic referee will be notified once the application has been submitted
- Notification of acceptance will be sent in early October 2022
- No participation fee is foreseen. If allowed to travel, participants are expected to cover their own travel and accommodation expenses (financial support is not available)
- The official language of the training course is English.
Schedule and Deadlines
|Application submission opening||end of July 2022|
|Application submission closure|
|Notification of acceptance||mid October 2022|
|Training Course||21-25 November 2022|
The course will be taught by leading European senior scientists and specialists in optical, microwave and hyperspectral remote sensing.
RSAC c/o ESA
Lechner Knowledge Centre, Hungary
Serco c/o ESA
DATelite Informatics, Hungary
MATE and University of Twente
Esri Hungary Ltd, Hungary